Saturday, April 11, 2015

Saturday, April 11- from Hontanas to Itero de la Vega for Monique, Rémi, and Ron. They left this morning around 7:30. It is foggy this morning, but hopefully the sun will burn it off soon so that they can take pictures. One of them will complete today's blog tonight as I won't have seen or done the same things.
I had to take a taxi to Fromista today. I'm going ahead to try to take a few days rest to see about healing my foot issues. Yesterday's walk put me in a worse position than I was already in. I will spend the day here and then go on to meet my amigos tomorrow in Villa de Sirga. It is not always easy to get from one place to another as buses and taxis don't always frequent the small villages. I will proceed to the tourist information center after I leave this café to inquire about buses for tomorrow. ( it is Sunday so it might cause more issues). Just an aside: we have been very lucky as most café/bars had free wifi. I have been in this place for one hour but it is time to leave as the locals have arrived and man are they loud...
I went to the officious de tourismo. Lucky for me the man there could speak French and very well. He informed me that there are no buses to any small villages around only to the cities and not on Sunday. There are trains, but again only to a larger city in the wrong direction. My option is to take a taxi, once again. So far I've paid 40 Euros in cabs. I went to the Farmacia and the pharmacist was awesome. I bought some implant for my boots. It should help with the plantar fasciitis. I bought insoles (different kind) for Rémi as well.
Since I was here early I got a good chance to visit the place. For a population of about 800, there are 3 huge churches. Here are some pictures.
San Martin church. Founded around 1066. A beautiful Romanesque building.

San Pedro church. Gothic church founded in the 15th century.


Santa Maria del Castillo. It is situated in the highest part of the village.

There are storks building nests on most church roofs in the last week or so. This one is on top of the last church.

1 comment:

  1. Hoping that you feel better soon and you can continue your walk. Love reading the blog updates.

    ReplyDelete